How Chicago Food Co-Op Works
Chicago Food Co-Op is a food buying club made up of individuals who collectively purchase groceries directly from distributors. We have an advantage over the individual consumer because we can purchase goods at wholesale (discounted) prices and pass the savings on to our members.
Chicago Food Co-Op purchases and holds food on behalf of its members. It does not sell any goods.
Chicago Food Co-Op is entirely volunteer-driven. We rely on our mandatory work policy to ensure that the business keeps running smoothly. All members are expected to work 3 hours every four week cycle. We have some permanent volunteer positions, some temporary jobs, and a regular need for help on the receiving and breakdown team.
Our Grocery Suppliers
We strive to bring our members variety and value. Our grocery suppliers are selected to provide the items that members want and as a buying club the price we pay for grocery items is often even lower than listed.
- United Natural Foods Incorporated (UNFI) offers most of the same products that are found in corporate grocery stores such as Whole Foods, except for fresh produce.
- Intelligentsia is a local coffee roaster that sells a wide variety of premium java and tea products to cafes and grocery establishments across Chicagoland. Some of their products are organic and/or purchased through "direct trade". To learn more about Intelligentsia's products, please visit their website.
- Frontier Natural Products Co-op specializes in natural and organic products. They are the world's largest global supplier of organic herbs and spices. They also sell a large variety of fair-traded organic teas, aromatherapy and personal care products, and some cooking and baking supplies.
- Grass is Greener Gardens is nestled in the valleys of Southwestern Wisconsin. Using sustainable and organic methods, they provide Chicago Food Coop with lamb, chicken, eggs, cheese, yogurt and produce.
- Charlie's Soap makes biodegradable, environmentally safe and hypo-allergenic laundry detergents. They are family owned and operated in Mayodan, North Carolina since 1976.
- Natural Direct is the source for fine local foods. We offer Meats from Black Earth Meats, Cheese from Cedar Grove, Otter Creek Farm, Prairie Fruits Farm and Milks from Kilgus Farmstead, Traders Point Farm and Sunshine Goat Milk.
Nutrition, Food, and Organic Farming Resources
Full of links you can click on.